As you reflect on last week’s Thanksgiving celebrations and look forward to Christmas, we know you have endless options for ways to spend this season. To help you and your family make the holidays special and keep from letting the busyness of the next several weeks eclipse our reason for celebrating, we’ve collected an incredible list of Advent resources for you.
Some are free, some are paid; some have been created by DaySpring or (in)courage contributors, while others are offered by members of the (in) community. But all are about seeking Truth and Peace during the Christmas season, and all will lead you straight to Jesus. We are praying for you as we head into this season — praying that you would make room for Him, that you would find peace in Him, and that you would share Him with everyone you encounter.
DaySpring has a variety of Advent resources for you, from simple activities for your children, books, and journals to beautiful candles and ornaments to commemorate the season. Click here to see all their Advent products.
Last year, DaySpring introduced Shepherd on the Search, an Advent activity set that has quickly become a family favorite and beloved tradition. The set comes with a plush shepherd and an interactive book, and your family can have fun every day as you hide the shepherd for your kids to find, on his way to finding the manger on Christmas Day. In addition to the original activity set, we’re excited to now offer a family devotional, sticker book, ornament, and more. Click here to learn more about Shepherd on the Search!
Here are a few more Advent books and activities to check out:
- The Women of Christmas: Experience the Season Afresh with Elizabeth, Mary, and Anna by Liz Curtis Higgs — Angelic encounters, miraculous conceptions, unexpected visitors, and outbursts of praise: Take a fresh look at the nativity story with Liz Curtis Higgs in her book, The Women of Christmas, as she explores the biblical stories of Elizabeth, Mary, and Anna, unwrapping each verse with tender care.
- A Moment of Christmas: Daily Devotions for Time-strapped Moms by Anna Rendell — This book is for the woman who craves a less crazed-feeling Christmas, who longs for a season that is intentional and full of joy. Including 25 devotions, each of them guilt-free, inspiring, and able to be read in 10 minutes or less! As you prepare your heart for Christmas by reading through these pages, you’ll be inspired to drop the pursuit of perfection and chase holy.
- Be the Gift: Let Your Brokenness Be Turned into Abundance by Ann Voskamp — Wouldn’t you like to experience (and share) the gift of less stress this season? This newest book from Ann will invite you into deeper transformation, less stress, more joy, and abundantly more peace and purpose — the perfect gift as we prepare to celebrate Christ’s coming. Dayspring also offers Ann’s other Advent resources: The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas and Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration Christmas.
- More Than Candy: A 25-Day Christmas Countdown That Counts by Sarah Mae — This book is a great fit for families who want to make their Advent calendar count for more than an excuse to eat sweet treats! It’s 25 days of ideas of activities to do with your family that matter to your neighbors, your local community, your family, and those in need.
- Do Less: Make It Mean More by All Things Good Collective — Each day of this digital devotional features one word associated with Advent, a Scripture, a simple reflection on that passage, and a space for you to respond and worship. All of the beautiful artwork in this book is by Lindsay Letters.
- Truth in the Tinsel by Amanda White — Each day Truth in the Tinsel will lead you through a passage of Scripture, a corresponding ornament craft, and talking points for you and your kids. It’s more than a devotion; it’s meditation and hands-on learning for kids. It’s more than a craft book; it’s a memory-builder for your family. It’s more than an ebook; it’s an experience and adventure in God’s Word! (And for the family who’s a little less crafty or is pressed for time, you can always do the printable ornaments version!)
- Come, Lord Jesus: The Weight of Waiting by Kris Camealy — Advent in the church is a season of preparation rimmed with hopeful expectation. For 23 days before Christmas, we find ourselves waiting for Jesus to come. We busy ourselves with preparations — shopping, wrapping, baking, traveling, partying. Few of us manage to wait quietly. Instead, we fill our calendars with a steady stream of activity, perhaps in an attempt to distract ourselves from the stand-still feeling of the required waiting. Waiting is hard work for people who crave instant gratification. We want to see Jesus now.
- She Reads Truth Advent — Joy to the world, the Lord has come! Join a community of women around the world this Advent season as you read the story of Jesus’ birth. From the earliest promises of His coming in the Old Testament, to the angelic messengers announcing His birth to the shepherds, this 4-week Scripture reading plan presents the biblical story of our need for Christ and the glory of His arrival. The She Reads Truth Advent community study runs Sunday, December 3 – Sunday, December 31, 2017.
- Kids Read Truth Advent Cards — Created with so much love from the SRT team, these cards will be a blessing to your family for years to come. Designed to engage kids of all ages, each card offers 1 key verse from the SRT/HRT daily reading, plus questions for three different age groups (2-5, 5-11, 12 and up). (SRT also offers a men’s Advent study book here.)
- Sacred Holidays — This group desires to connect the hearts of women, men, teens, and families to the heart of God during peak seasons of their lives — the holidays they celebrate, including Advent and Lent. Bible studies are available for women, men, teen girls, and families.