Do you ever experience something wonderful, heart gripping, awe inspiring, moving or other words like that and then right after it’s over worry that you’ll forget that feeling? I have. I’ve wondered if I’ll forget how I felt when my boys were little. Wondered if I’ll forget how Christmas felt when I was a little girl, and wondered if I’ll forget how I felt on the first date with my husband.
My most recent experience that I didn’t want to forget was how it felt in Tanzania. The people, the places, the feelings. Oh, to forget would be so tragic. And then I heard two songs. Two songs that I happened to listen to on the airplanes and on the buses on the way back from the centers. Songs I listened to while passing Mt. Kilimanjaro and after meeting Topiwo’s family.
And all the feelings came rushing back.
Music can be magical. And just like a smell that can take you back to childhood, music can put you right back into that place you were.
Now that I’ve learned that music can take me back to a moment, a season, an event, I’ve tried to be aware of the fact that I can pick out music, listen to it during something and then I’ll get those feelings back whenever I want.
- If I want to remember the people in Tanzania I listen to Come by Here from Shaun Groves
- I see Tanzania when I hear Such Great Heights performed by The Section Quartet (written by the Postal Service). The song doesn’t really have to have anything do to with the experience, that’s the beauty of it!
- Here’s my oldest when he was two: Chris Rice Deep Enough to Dream
- Here’s our first date, our first date really was seeing George Winston play.
- Here’s Christmas when I was a little girl, my Grandma sang this song right along with the Andrews sisters.
- The song they used in my sister’s book trailer, when I hear it, I’m thrilled all over again about her book. Lesser Love by Will Howard.
I’m currently picking out some songs for autumn. Songs that will bring me back to this season of life one day.
What about you? What songs take you back? Have you ever purposely chosen a song to represent a season of your life?
Leave a Comment