He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him.
Psalm 40:3 (NIV)
Extreme Makeover: Heart Edition
I love a good home improvement show. I also love the 90’s sitcom called Home Improvement. Sadly that show is no longer on the air, but there are now entire television networks dedicated to fixer uppers, flip or flops, and demo days. Give me a game plan on blueprints, white paint, and witty banter leading up to a big reveal. I’ll be a happy and inspired gal.
Before the boom of DIY and shiplap, there was ‘Extreme Makeover: Home Edition‘. Remember that show?? The producers would choose a family who had both endured trials and had a felt need for their home to be different. Then they would send the family off on a vacation and start construction on their new home. The team would use local volunteers and work around the clock for a week or so, the deadline for the big reveal upon the homeowners’ return from vacay. Along the way, they would share the family’s story anecdotally, and you always had to watch with both popcorn and tissues within reach. The homeowners would weep through the reveal of their new beautiful and functional home, able to live in a space that finally worked for the needs of their family.
Last week we entered into a brand new year, His promises of fresh mercies and quiet grace and clean slates and new beginnings heavy on the minds of many. Myself included — I can’t stop starting over. And as I welcomed the fresh start of that new year, the show popped into my memory the other day, along with a ‘what-if’ question. What if there was a show titled, ‘Extreme Makeover: Heart Edition‘? It would look quite different from its ‘Home’-sister, but still. The thought stuck with me and what-if questions keep coming to my mind:
- What if we spruced up our exterior, scrubbing out the dusty corners and sweeping out the cobwebs of our hearts?
- What if we widened our doors, throwing them open to our community and neighbors?
- What if we tore down our walls and built a bigger table?
- What if we filled our hearts and homes with the Word of God, writing His commands and impressing His love on the doorframes of our house?
- What if we accepted the help of our neighbors and friends?
- What if we allowed God’s construction crew to come in, knocking down walls and building a stronger foundation and making space for more?
We all have a need, a craving, a hope for an extreme makeover: heart edition. We don’t need a camera crew or disastrous living conditions to qualify for it, either.
We only need to hit our knees and ask the One who holds the master blueprints to do His best design work in and on our hearts.